This week several journalism and freedom of expression trials will resume at courts. Below is a list of this week’s hearings:
December 9, Monday
- Trial where journalist Rojda Oğuz faces “membership in a terrorist organization” charges will resume at Van 4th High Criminal Court this week. Oğuz will attend the hearing via SEGBİS video-conference link from İstanbul 29th High Criminal Court. Rojda Oğuz is accused of organizing a demonstration although photos showing her attending these events with her camera as a journalist are included in the case-file. JİNHA reporter Oğuz was arrested in Van on January 9, 2016 and released on March 28, 2019.
December 10, Tuesday
- The trial of since shut Taraf newspaper’s former administrators Ahmet Altan, Yasemin Çongar and Yıldıray Oğur, reporter Mehmet Baransu, and Aktüel reporter Tuncay Opçin will resume at İstanbul 13rd High Criminal Court. The defendants face “disclosing information or documents that, due to their nature, must be kept confidential for reasons relating to the security, or domestic or foreign political interests of the State” charges for Taraf’s reporting on “operation Balyoz,” an alleged Turkish secularist coup plan.
- Tenth hearing of the trial where since shuttered Özgür Gündem daily’s former publisher Kemal Sancılı and former Managing Editor İnan Kızılkaya face “making terrorist propaganda” charges will be held at İstanbul 27th High Criminal Court. Journalists face this charge for three news stories published in the newspaper in 2016.
December 11, Wednesday
- Sixth hearing of the trial where Etkin News Agency (ETHA) editor Semiha Şahin and reporter Pınar Gayıp face “membership in a terrorist organization” and “making terrorist propaganda” charges will take place at İstanbul 23rd High Criminal Court. Şahin and Gayıp were released with judicial control measures and house arrest following a 14-month detainment during the previous hearing, which was held on June 13, 2019.
- First hearing of the trial where journalist and haberercis.com Editor-in-Chief Sercan Akbaş faces “terrorist propaganda” charges will be held at Van 7th High Criminal Court. Evidence presented against Akbaş, whom MLSA represents in court, consists of one news story that was published on haberercis.com on January 21, 2018 about the Turkish military operation in Afrin, Syria.
December 13, Friday
- Sixth hearing of the trial where Etkin News Agency (ETHA) reporter Ali Sönmez Kayar faces “membership in a terrorist organization” charges will be held at İstanbul 32nd High Criminal Court.