This week several journalism and freedom of expression trials will resume at courts. Below is a list of this week’s hearings:
September 3rd, Tuesday
- Sixth hearing of the trial where 23 defendants of whom 2 are detained face “membership in a terrorist organization” and “terrorist propaganda” charges will resume at the İstanbul 27th High Criminal Court. Etkin News Agency (ETHA) editor İsminaz Temel and reporter Havva Cuştan are among the defendants. Temel had been released in the previous hearing following a 16-month detainment.
September 4th, Wednesday
- Ninth hearing of the trial where Sözcü newspaper reporter Gökmen Ulu, Sözcü’s website’s former News Editor Mediha Olgun, Chief Financial Officer Yonca Yücekaleli are tried with “aiding and abetting a terrorist organization without being a member” charges and the newspaper’s owner Burak Akbay is tried with “leading an armed terrorist organization” and “making propaganda for an armed terrorist organization” charges will take place at İstanbul 37th High Criminal Court. Two separate Sözcü cases have recently been merged; hence, journalists Metin Yılmaz, Mustafa Çetin, Necati Doğru, Yücel Arı and Emin Çölaşan face the same allegations as part of this trial.
September 5th, Thursday
- Seventh hearing of the trial where photojournalist Çağdaş Erdoğan faces “membership in a terrorist organization” and “making terrorist propaganda” charges will take place at İstanbul 33rd High Criminal Court. Erdoğan is represented by MLSA in court and the verdict is expected to be announced during this hearing.
- First hearing of the trial where Die Welt journalist Deniz Yücel faces “insulting a public official” charges due to a tweet he posted will be held at İstanbul 24th Criminal Court of First Instance. The concerned tweet was posted on Feb 20, 2019 and is about the prosecutor who was leading the investigation on Osman Kavala.
- The trial where since shuttered Dicle News Agency reporter Selman Keleş and journalist Arif Aslan face “membership in a terrorist organization” charges will resume at Van 5th High Criminal Court. Two journalists were arrested on 30 March 2017 while taking photos near Van Municipality building as terror suspects and were released during the first hearing of their trial, which was held on 21 November 2017.
September 6th, Friday
- Third hearing of the trial where CHP İstanbul Chair Canan Kaftancıoğlu faces “insulting the President,” “insulting a public officer in relation to their duty,” “publicly insulting the Republic of Turkey,” “inciting the public to hate and hostility,” and “making terrorist propaganda” charges for her Twitter posts will be held at İstanbul 37th High Criminal Court.