MLSA is looking for a full-time junior project coordinator and editor. The position offers the opportunity to work in a local rights association and to take part in advocacy and project work for freedom of expression and the press, while also finding research options and other opportunities to be creative.
Requirements for this position:
- Excellent reporting and news writing skills in Turkish and English
- Minimum of three (3) years professional experience in rights-based civil society and/or journalism in Turkey
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as International Relations, Political Science, Sociology, Administration is required; a Master’s degree is preferable
- Experience in project implementation is required
- Experience in journalistic activities (news writing, editing) is a plus
- Pro-activeness and ability to work both independently and in a team
- Coordinate MLSA’s Free Web Turkey project (freewebturkey.com) and in that regard, develop MLSA’s work in the field of online and digital rights
- Coordinate MLSA’s project work on threats against journalists and impunity
- Assist MLSA’s trial monitoring project
- Conduct research on topics relevant for MLSA’s work and prepare research reports for publication
- Write a weekly (online) censorship bulletin for Turkey and the world
- Coordinate with journalists and writers for the commissioning of articles
- Edit, translate and post news articles sent in by journalists and writers and publish them on the MLSA website
- Manage and upload website contents
- Organize workshops, meetings, and panel events
- Manage MLSA’s social media accounts
- Assist with donor and public reports (in that regards, follow-up and record MLSA activities)
- Represent MLSA at regular meetings with partners, maintain contact with other CSOs
- Starting 30 June, candidates chosen for interviews will receive emails to schedule for initial meetings
- During the first interview candidates will be required to fulfill tasks involving writing and translation; these will be evaluated by MLSA editors
- A second round of interviews will be scheduled based on the evaluations
- The candidate will be selected in the first half of July and will be expected to take up the position in mid-July
MLSA usually does not work outside normal office hours (10 am – 6 pm) but in this position, social media management tasks and participation in civil society events may continue on weekends.This is not a project based role; as such, it is a long-term position
Complementary health insurance to SGK and meals at the office are provided.
To apply, candidates are requested to send in a resume and cover letter in English to email@example.com by midnight on Friday, June 24, 2022.
Applications submitted in Turkish, handed in after the deadline, or missing a cover letter will not be considered.